Getting a Tax Pin
A tax pin is a document that confirms that a person’s tax affairs are in order.
There are a variety of reasons why people would require this sort of certificate, including tender applications, emigration and for some credit applications.
How to Apply for a Tax Pin
The tax clearance certificate has been replaced with the tax pin as from the 26 October 2019 and will no longer be available to print or for verification, according to SARS.
There are two ways that you can apply for a tax pin:
- Via e-Filing online (You will need to set up a profile first).
- Visiting a local SARS branch . You can call SARS to find out which branch is closest to you.
In order to apply for your tax pin online, via e-Filing, you’ll need to complete the following steps:
- Login to your efiling account. https://www.sarsefiling.co.za/
- Click on “Tax Status” on the top right-hand corner.
- Click on “Tax Compliance Status” on the left-hand side menu.
4. Then click “Activation” if it’s your first time requesting a tax pin via efiling.
5. Tick both boxes and click activate then continue and continue again.
6. Click on the required field to confirm details and then click “submit form”.
7. Then click continue.
8. You will be taken to a screen with two tabs.
9. Choose the Tax Compliance Status Request tab.
10. Pick the reason you’re applying for the certificate and click request:
Reasons are below:
- Good standing
- FIA (Foreign Investment Allowance)
11. Fill in your details required and click “Submit form” then click continue.
12. You can then print out your pin by clicking on “Good Standing” and ticking the “select” box and then “Print Pin”
Remember: Those applying for the emigration or FIA certificates will need to provide additional, supporting documents.
When SARS has approved your request, they’ll issue you an overall tax compliance status, as well as a PIN. It’s up to you to choose whether you want the PIN sent to you by SMS – you can also view it on your “Tax Compliance Status Request” dashboard, which is located on your e-Filing profile.
Applying for a Tax Pin at a Branch
If you have a tax compliant status, a SARS agent will quickly be able to print out your Tax Pin, or even email it to the registered email address they have on record.
In cases where your status is not compliant, you won’t get a Tax Pin until you’ve rectified this situation, i.e. paid off any outstanding taxes.